Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] interchanging executables

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] interchanging executables
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:32:32 -0500 (CDT)

I had someone tell me recently that if a program is compiled correctly, it
can be run on that hardware, regardless of the operating system. Is this
true? I can understand this would be true for operating systems
themselves, but I would think that executables are being managed by an
operating system as processes, and somehow need to be able to know how
they will be controlled.

For example, assume I wrote a C program that looks for a text string
within all the files of a directory (including subdirectories), and
creates a file with the output. Let's say I compiled it on a 300 MHz
Pentium system running Debian Linux. So, assumming I compiled it in the
correct manner, I could also use that executable in OS/2, BeOS,
Windoze95/98/2000/NT, other UNIX/Linux distributions or ANY other
operating system that can run on the same hardware? If so, could it also
work on all x86 and compatible processors?

I would think that working with the different file systems would add to
the problem, unless there is a universal way executables communicate to
operating systems that they need to change into a directory or create a
file, etc.

John