Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: interchanging executables

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: interchanging executables
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:43:37 -0500

It will work with static librarys if the systems are posix compliant
(Unicies), but I don't think that it will work (without the use of an
emulator) on anything else, unless they are written in asm.

I use Netscape on an Alpha running linux but it was compiled for Tru64 Unix
(or whatever Compaq is calling Digital Unix these days.) Because they are
both posix and compaq has put out some compatability libs for linux, I can
run it. Another example is a game I play called netrek. I have a client that
is for OSF/1 and is statically compiled, and runs fine.

But between OSes that don't try to maintain a binary compatibility (basically
anything aside from *nix) I would seriously doubt that they will work unless
there is some special code included that says Do this if running windows, and
this if running linux. This does happen in Makefiles, but I don't know of a
way to do it in an executable.

James L