Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: PPP question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: PPP question
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:07:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Nate Bargmann wrote:

>> exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 lock crtscts noipdefault \
>>     defaultroute 0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 connect /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
>
>If memory serves, this looks like you're running Slackware, right?
>If so, you may need to twiddle the permissions on /dev/modem.  Or,
>you might check to see if /dev/modem belongs to a group other than
>root and if so, add your user name to the appropriate group in
>/etc/groups.

Actually, I'm using Red Hat 6.1. But I checked the permissions
on /dev/modem.  I thought that might be the problem, since
minicom works and it is set up to use /dev/ttyS2 directly
instead of /dev/modem.  But /dev/modem belongs to the root
group, and permissions are lrwxrwxrwx.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Bruce Alderman                   baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx