Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: PPP question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: PPP question
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:19:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:

>Also check for the existance of /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/options.ttySX
>(replace X with the appropriate number for your serial port).  If either of
>these files exists, check the ownership of these files, and check their
>contents.  I'm guessing that _at least_ one of these files exists, and
>contains a "connect" option... if you take that out, it may fix the problem
>as well...

This appears to be the source of the problem.  I commented out
the"connect" line from /etc/ppp/options, and now I'm getting a
different error message when I try to run ppp-on from my user
account:

/usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd since it is not setuid-root

This looks like progress, but I'm not familiar with setuid.  Is
this something I can change with linuxconf?  Or is there a
better way?

--
Bruce Alderman                   baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          http://www2.southwind.net/~baa