Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] PPP question

Subject: [linux-help] PPP question
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 18:14:32 -0500 (CDT)

I've been running Linux for about two months now, and it's
mostly going smoothly.  However, I've got a problem logging in
to my ISP through PPP.

I have a script file (actually it's just a one line script)
called ppp-on, in the /etc/ppp directory.  The contents are:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 lock crtscts noipdefault \
    defaultroute 0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 connect /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

According to _Running Linux_ by Welsh, et al. I should be able
to run this without logging in as root.  But every time I try to
run it from my own account, I get an error:

/usr/sbin/pppd : connect option cannot be overridden

The file permissions for both /etc/ppp/ppp-on and /usr/sbin/pppd are:
-rwxr-xr-x

So I've been using su to start the ppp-on file, then exiting
back to my account once the connection has been made.  What do
I need to do to be able to dial in without logging into the root
account?

(FWIW, I have no trouble dialing the ISP using minicom without
root privileges.)

--
Bruce Alderman                   baa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          http://www2.southwind.net/~baa