Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: PPP question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: PPP question
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 18:36:34 -0500

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 06:14:32PM -0500, Bruce Alderman wrote:

> I've been running Linux for about two months now, and it's
> mostly going smoothly.  However, I've got a problem logging in
> to my ISP through PPP.
>
> I have a script file (actually it's just a one line script)
> called ppp-on, in the /etc/ppp directory.  The contents are:
>
> exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 lock crtscts noipdefault \
>     defaultroute 0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 connect /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

If memory serves, this looks like you're running Slackware, right?
If so, you may need to twiddle the permissions on /dev/modem.  Or,
you might check to see if /dev/modem belongs to a group other than
root and if so, add your user name to the appropriate group in
/etc/groups.  On my Debian boxes I noted that some of the config
files belonged to the dip group and the appropriate serial port
device the modem resides on belonged to the dialout group.  So
I added my user name to both of those groups and viola! user PPP
control.

> (FWIW, I have no trouble dialing the ISP using minicom without
> root privileges.)

Then it sounds like your security scripts such as pap-secrets or
another are denying you read access.

- Nate >>

--

 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good