Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: CD-ROM errors

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD-ROM errors
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:26:17 -0500

Well, you may very well have a flakey CD-ROM drive on your hands. And,
in my own experience, that flakeyness will show up big time while
trying to install/upgrade Debian. I spent some time trying to install
Debian on a friends machine once and we were getting the same results
as you. We did determine that the CD drive was not right, and a
different drive worked okay. The problems with the drive, however,
showed up much more with the Debian CD than with most other CDs. It
seams that while installing Debian it had to start and stop (spin up
and down) a lot. That seemed to make it blow chunks. I believe it was
a 6X creative labs drive. We found an old 2X IDE drive of some kind
and that worked fine.