Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: CD-ROM errors

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD-ROM errors
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:22:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Carl D Cravens wrote:

> Apr  2 15:18:25 lists kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51
> Apr  2 15:18:25 lists kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50
> Apr  2 15:18:25 lists kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 4792

I could certainly see this being a result of a multi-session
CD. If I'm groking the kernel sources correctly, a verbose output
of error 0x50 would be:
UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound AddrMarkNotFound
in other words (from the comments in include/linux/hdreg.h):
Uncorrectable ECC error, ID field not found, and Bad address mark

Can you read a known-good CD in the drive? Say a music CD?

-jeff
--
The primary purpose of the Data statement is to give names to constants;
instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the