Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2009:
[gopher] Re: New Gopher server and client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: New Gopher server and client
From: Benjamin Newman <benn.newman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:23:12 -0600

Mateusz Viste wrote:
> I would say it depends of personal tastes :-)
>
> I understand that you will convert text files to rtf/pdf/html....   What
> charset will you declare in these documents? Will you analyze each file to
> determine what charset could possibly be used (UTF8, Latin2, ISO-8859-1,
> ISO-8859-2, KOI8, etc..."? If not, then I see no point in that...
>
> What if you get a PDF file? Will you convert it to html and text, to allow
> multiview?
>
> What will you do with graphic files? Will you convert any file to bmp, jpeg,
> png, gif, etc...? What if one graphic file contains alpha channels, and the
> destination format doesn't handle transparency (png -> jpg)?
>
> Multiview is a nice (well, at least "interesting") feature. However, to be
> really efficient it has to be done by the administrator, which sets up
> different versions of a document. Such settings are much work for an admin,
> compared to just putting a bunch of text files on the server... ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Mateusz Viste

Hello

While I do understand Mateusz' concerns, I think that there are
reasonable defaults.

One other possibility is using make (I would use mk
<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/mk.html> (you can get sources for
UNIX at <http://swtch.com/plan9port/unix/>) to automate it. I suppose
this could be done by the Gopher(+) server just in time, but as they
say, disk-space is cheap.

In the end if you do not want Gopher+, or this feature of it in
particular, do not use it.
--
Benn Newman