Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2009:
[gopher] Re: New Gopher server and client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: New Gopher server and client
From: Matjaž Mešnjak <matjaz85@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:32:15 +0100

2009/2/17 Brian Koontz <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm not that familiar with Gopher+...does this mean there is a lot
> more responsibility on the client to properly render content and form?

Gopher+ is an extension to the original Gopher specification. Basic
stuff (menus and files) is still handled in the same way as in the
original. Gopher+ adds the ability to retrieve additional information
(file size, file modification date/time, administrator name and e-mail
address, alternate representations of the file, language, ... ) about
the file/menu. To use this information, the clients need to explicitly
support it.
Forms are also an extension (part of Gopher+) and are also "additional
information about the file". It is up to the client to display it
correctly. There are many different ways to display it e.g. a series
of dialog windows each containing one element (text box, password box,
check box, radio button group, file selector, text label) or a single
window that displays controls all on a single page (in one window).