[gopher] Re: Gopherness

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherness
From: Roman Pavlov <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:27:24 +0400

Hugh Guiney wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM, JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For Starters, we can report on how the Clients each of us are using are
>> handling this (and could someone run a UTF-8 Gopher Server that we can test
>> our Clients against)?
>
> I think this is a good idea and would be willing to help with that.

I have put 2 test directories on my server:

gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su/1/test/cyrillic/
contains gopher menu and text file in 8-bit encoding (KOI8-R)

gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su/1/test/unicode/
contains gopher menu and text file in UTF-8 (also in Russian)

In fact, encoding of text files does not matter much as user can always
download the file and view it with external program or explicitly set
the encoding if browser supports it (any GUI web browser and lynx). I'm
more concerned with gopher menu rendering, 'cause it can be presented by
gopher client only and looks like no browser displays UTF-8 menus
correctly and displaying 8-bit menus requires manual setup. The results
of my (rather quick) testing are here
gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su/0/client.txt

More testing results are welcome as well as sample text and menus in
other languages and encodings.

I should also note that I'm using bucktooth and telnetting to port 70
shows that it sends both 8-bit and UTF-8 correctly.