[gopher] Re: Gopherness

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherness
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

No, I seem to not have made myself clear... I am NOT advocating ditching all
other character sets.

On Gopher, when your examine a directory (Item Type "1"), you will ONLY see the
names of files (or a specially created alias for the file name) and the text of
Item Type "i".  All other objects in Gopher (be they text documents, binarary
files, or whatever), must be opened in order to view their contents.  I am more
than willing to accept that these file names (or their alias) and the contents
of Item Type "i" be in any character set desired (UTF-8, Big-5, or whatever).
If I visit, as an arbitrary example, a chinese Server; it matters not to me
that the menus appear in chinese with chinese characters.

As for the files that must be Opened (Item Type "g", "9", or whatever), it
again doesn't matter what character set you use inside these files.  ALL I am
saying is that we reserve ONE Item Type as an expected "universal" method of
communication.  An Item Type that, IF you want to leave a message for ANY
computer user, can be Opened and Interpereted by ANY computer.

I propose that this "universal" communication files Item Type be Item Type "0"
(due to all known Clients already understanding how to open, and print, this
Item Type), and that the character set used in this "universal" Item Type be
ASCII.   Thats all... no more, no less.