[gopher] Re: Gopherness

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherness
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

Assuming that "Internationlization" is indeed a good thing.  Remember, Morse
Code is "International", but the character set has NOT been extended to
accomodate non-US alphabets.  So, why not insist that Gopher TEXT documents
(Gopher Item Type 0) ONLY be written using ASCII characters.

If someone desires to use other characters (including "made up ones"), they can
type them into a document format that supports the characters (.RTF, .DOC, and
etceteras), or even a PDF file.  As a last resort, they can even offer the
document as a picture file (.GIF, .JPG, and etceteras).  Keeping Item Type 0
"pure" (and I am only talking about Item Type 0) will forever allow
communication compatability with ALL computers, of any era.

It is my understanding that the Only reason for the recent push towards
"Internationalization" on the Internet is to accomodate "pretty" WEB pages and
Email messages (so the Browser/Mail software can render a webpage/email,
billboard-like, on screen in a native language; rather than just offering the
document as a separate download).  In fact, it has gotten so bad (with "table"
formatting and all) that very often you can't even print out a web page (or
even certain emails).