Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Jason Nemrow <jnemrow@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:21:12 -0600

I am thinking that this would necessitate multiple types of the same basic =
file for this to work with older clients.  THere would need to be a plain t=
ext version for clients that request ".../0/..." along with the other optio=
ns.  This isn't a criticism of the idea, just clarifying what would have to=
 happen to make gopher0 clients work with this.  I think it is avery workab=
le solution, though it might get very byzantine to have multiple URLs that =
essentially point to the same item.  For example, one would need to put up =
a 9 line for my poor gopher0 client to be able to download the rtf version,=
 as well as a 0(text/rtf) line for the new MIME client (a line gopher0 clie=
nts would ignore).  Could get messy! =20

As a side note, I see a great allure to just use the new version, have noth=
ing for the gopher0 clients, and essentially publish menus without any cont=
ent. We already see something similar in servers that have no 0 type conten=
t (who uses plain text anymore?) and where every item is a 9 downloadable. =
 Makes the gopher0 (sorry, stands for RFC-1436 spec compliant) client usabl=
e but basically feel like FTP for user-friendliness.

I hopr this makes some sense.  Jay