Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: A Sunday morning diatribe

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: A Sunday morning diatribe
From: "Matthew Holevinski" <eylusion@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 20:53:22 -0500

What's wrong with just 2 item types?

Ascii and Binary--Ascii you view and Binary you download, do with as
you wish files.
I mean I kind of agree with a few of the others like the CSO searches
and stuff but do
they really need their own item type? I mean smart server dumb client,
their will need
to be a way to pass that data to the server "agreed" but if the best
way to do that is
item types then so be it.

I'm more concerned not with whether or not our gopher clients can view
jpegs or pdf's.
But what we utilize our gopherspace for, more from a philosophical
standpoint. I mean
it's great that we discuss these technical details of a protocol
mostly forgotten, and
carry the weight of it's development on our shoulders and
wholeheartedly care about
what happens to it and what is to be done with it.
,
But personally whether you provide up links in your directory
structures or bounce
all your content off other services like an old 1992 portal website
would do, is not
the case with me. It's what content are we posting, what are we doing
with gopher.

We could build up something really special but no one will notice if
there isn't anything
they can do with it, like the progression of first person shooters,
you can only shoot
something or someone so many times before it's repetitive, so all new
games just have
more detailed textures, and fuzzier particle explosions.

I ask what will we do with these server's, hypothetically after all of
the programming jargon
is satisfied, and their are no more qualms about architecture. What
information will we
actually provide to one another, someone just mentioned you can't
really upload information
to a gopher in gopherspace, which kind of sucks but if this was meant
more as data retrieval
system namely text in a network filesystem. What do we all want to
contribute, that is what
sparks my curiosity.

Matthew Holevinski