Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Roman Pavlov <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:59:09 +0400

I'm afraid at some point we can lose distinction between "gopher item
types" and "MIME types" which are not initially the same, and merging
them we lose "gopher types" as one of main gopher concepts.

As for case with CSS and XML, you mentioned that distinction of MIME
types is necessary for the client to know which application should be
run to handle an item. However, both CSS and XML are typically handled
with the same application as HTML, i.e. web browser, so they actually
could be put under h itemtype (HTML).

My opinion is that although "MIME types" are more machine-friendly
allowing the browser to choose and run correct application, "gopher
types" are more human-friendly as a human user doesn't necessary make
distinction between different types of movie, sound, graphics files. I
think this approach should be kept.