Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 20:53:08 -0700 (PDT)

The "Client" would NOT.  "File Extensions" alone would dictate the viewer, and
the viewers would handle the file.

Remember, it is the SERVER operator who determines what File Extensions are
associated with what Item Type.  The CLIENT software merely acts as an FTP
conduit between the hard drive on the server and the hard drive on the local
machine.  In an ideal world the Client (think WebTV) would only have to worry
about three Item Types... Type 1 (display a directory listing), Type i (display
informational text), and Type "anything else" (download it as a binary and let
the installed programs / plugins deal with it).