Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2007:
[gopher] Re: new client

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: new client
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:15:39 -0800 (PST)

Very nice program.  The Windows community (by choice I primarily run Windows
2000, see: gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Win2k_Hosting\Why%20Windows%202000.txt
) has been in need of a good Gopher Client for some time.  Now that the browser
that ships with Windows, I.E.7, no longer supports Gopher access, the need has
just become critical!!!

  A few questions and comments:

  1) Do you have to have ".net" installed on the Windows computer in order to
run your Gopher Client?  My version of WIndows 200 intentionally does NOT have
".net" installed, and I was hoping that I never would have to install it.

  2) What do you feel is the advantage (other than YOUR personal familiarity)
to writing in ".net", rather than in some other programming language?  Is is
execution speed, stability, tightness of code, etc.?

  3) Do you intend to support all the common "Type Mappings" (see:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Contact.txt ) with unique Icons?

  4) What is your opinion on Gopher+ ?  I ask becuase Gopher+ was only a
proposed set of extensions, never officially submitted to the  Network Working
Group, and never widely implemented, even in Gophers heyday.  Most of the
Servers still in operation do NOT support Gopher+ (such as GopherS).  Rather
than trying to implement Gopher+, it may be more productive to have the current
Gopher community get together and develop a new set of Gopher extensions, based
on 20 years of hard lessons learned from using Gopher, the Web, FTP, and other
Internet protocols.

  5) Do you intend to implement VR (i.e., like GopherVR and TurboGopherVR once
did)?

  6) How are you handling Audio and Pictures?  By forcing them to be downloads
only; or through hooks to external applications, "plug-ins", or (heaven forbid)
built-in code?

Trevor <greendragon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  crap, it stripped it.
screenshot is here: