Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2007:
[gopher] Re: ascii art

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: ascii art
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:19:32 -0800 (PST)

Unlike the Unix based servers, the Windows GopherS server does NOT recognize
"wildcards".  This is actually a strong security feature built into GopherS.

  If you were to type the URL with just the IP address or DNS name as follows:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info
  you would get back the contents of the top level directory.  This is because
the server translates the above request in the following order:
  1) hostname [which is "home.jumpjet.info"}
  2) port [which, because not specifically stated otherwise, is assumed to be
"70"]
  3) type [which, because not specifically stated otherwise, is assumed to be
"1"]
  4) path [which, because not specifically stated otherwise, is not included]
            (note: GopherS does NOT support Gopher+ extensions, so this ends
the translation)

  Gopher starts at the top level directory when it begins following its path.
Since no "paths" were specified above saying you wanted to look deeper, GopherS
simply displays the top level (a.k.a. "/") directory.

  You could also intentionally go to the top level directory by typing the
specific path as follows:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/

  If you wanted to see a deeper directory, you would now HAVE to speicify the
"type" (a.k.a. "1" for directory listing), because the server makes no
assumptions that you are looking for a directory rather than a text file or
other data "type".  It WILL assume port 70 however, so you don't have to
specify the port if the server is operating on port 70 (just like the web
servers always assume port 80 unless specifically instructed otherwise).  For
example:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/1/Begin_Here

  GopherS knows in the above that you mean the top level of the "Begin_Here"
sub-directory, so you do not have to specify the trailing "/".  You can however
specifically specify it if you wish, so the following will also produce the
same directory listing as above:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/1/Begin_Here/

  ----------

  Typing a wrong path will produce an error (and your client/browser will
either present you with an error, or simply enter an "endless loop").  An
example of two incorrect paths that were recently entered (probably by Trevor's
new client???) were:
  .
  +

  As GopherS does not recognize wildcards, the wildcard "." (a.k.a. the entry
"gopher://home.jumpjet.info/.";, with a trailing period in the path as the
server sees it) would not work.  As there was no file named "+" either
(possibly an attempted Gopher+ command), the server also returned an error when
it was tried (a.k.a. the entry gopher://home.jumpjet.info/+).

  Earlier, there was an issue where someone using the UMN Gopher Client (being
Unix based) was also having trouble accessing JumpJet.  Here they were using
the two different wildcard paths of:
  $
  #
  Naturally, neither of these will work for the same reason as listed above.
Interestingly, the Bucktooth Gopher Server (which is what Floodgap uses)
accepts some wildcard symbols (such as the "#" symbol) and will, for example,
return the root directory contents if you type:
  gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/#

  Eric Newberry <ericnewberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I use Internet Explorer 6. I don't have any problems with your site.
Eric