Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2006:
[gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+
From: Benn Newman <newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:30:41 -0600

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:55:34AM +0300, R.A.Pavlov wrote:
> I would also add encoding for text files and directory listings. Current
> servers and clients have so much bugs with Cyrillic and 8-bit chars in
> general.
See page twelve of RFC 1436, eight-bit encodings are allowed.
> > 2)  I think new itemtypes should be reserved for file and text uploads.
> > The type of upload allowed could be defined in a new tabspace, 0 for
> > textfiles, 4 for binhex, 5 for DOS binary, you get the idea.  I'm
> > envisioning things like ftp gateways and bulletin board systems.
I think new item types should be used when the existing ones do not provide the
required functionilty.
For example, 9 takes care of everything.

I would want new item types when you want the behavior of the client to change,
like a search index (item type 7) to be returned as a plain text file (item
type 0).
I remember seeing that in the source for Squid iirc or something. I guess
upload would qualify as making the client do something special

And are file upload really Gopher? :)

Your Gopher at polarhome.com is finally working again!
--
Benn Newman | newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | gopher://igneous-rock.homeunix.net
Wisconsin Association of Gopher Operators