Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2006:
[gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+
From: Benn Newman <newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:01:18 -0600

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 03:01:41AM -0600, Jeff wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:51:44 -0600, Benn Newman
> Here are a few of my ideas:
>
> 1)  As I wrote in my previous post, I think that reserving new tabspaces
> for information like mimetype and filesize would be a good start.  The
> file's last-modified date would also be nice.
>      A menu would look similar to this,
>
>        "1This points to a gopher
> menu%09/selector%09host%09port%09size%09mimetype".
>        Where %09 is a hex-encoded tab.
The nice thing abous Gopher+ blocks is that they can hold arbitrary
information. Do we want to limit ourselves like this?
Something we might want to keep in mind
from the GopherCON 1994 State of the Gopher:
   1992: Growth and Gopher+
[snip]
      -Limits of the initial protocol become apparent
         Needed a place to store meta-information
         Administrator
         Electronic forms
         Alternate data formats (views)
         Modification date
         Abstract
--
Benn Newman | newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | gopher://igneous-rock.homeunix.net
Wisconsin Association of Gopher Operators