Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2006:
[gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+
From: "R.A.Pavlov" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 01:55:34 +0300

>      A menu would look similar to this,
>
>        "1This points to a gopher
> menu%09/selector%09host%09port%09size%09mimetype".
>        Where %09 is a hex-encoded tab.

I would also add encoding for text files and directory listings. Current
servers and clients have so much bugs with Cyrillic and 8-bit chars in
general.

> 2)  I think new itemtypes should be reserved for file and text uploads.
> The type of upload allowed could be defined in a new tabspace, 0 for
> textfiles, 4 for binhex, 5 for DOS binary, you get the idea.  I'm
> envisioning things like ftp gateways and bulletin board systems.

New item types are a compatibility problem, maybe existing types could
be extended instead (e.g. in a way similar to described in my previous
post about GN)?
If it's really needed:
In fact gopher bboards and guestbooks are pretty well made with just
sending email and parsing it on server with procmail or other script.
See example of a bboard-like thing
gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/yargo/glog
I have also set up a gopher guestbook here:
gopher://www.polarhome.com:27070/0/guestbook

--
Yours, etc.
        Roman A. Pavlov