Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Heads up

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Heads up
From: David Allen <mda@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:53:03 -0500

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:36:00PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In conjunction with UMN Gopher's 10th birthday, I will be releasing
> version 3.0 of UMN gopher/gopherd sometime within the next 48 hours.

(In my best Mr. Burns voice.... "Excellent")

> Long live Gopher!

Indeed.  Thanks for version 3.0, I will check it out within the next
few days.   I guess the question is now, "where is gopher going?"

As an open question, I'd like to ask people:

- What does gopher *not* do that you wish it did?  (Keeping in mind
  that gopher is gopher, and HTTP is HTTP, so please don't say, "some
  cookie type of ability would be nice...")

- What does gopher software (pick any package) *not* do that you wish
  it did?

What I'm most worried about with regards to gopher is it simply
disappearing for lack of recruiting users.  Without recruiting users,
I think gopher will eventually perish due to simple attrition.
(i.e. growth is required to maintain the size of the userbase)  So
what I'm trying to get at is what needs to be done to attract people?

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/