Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Heads up

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Heads up
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Jan 2002 18:36:00 -0500

Hi,

In conjunction with UMN Gopher's 10th birthday, I will be releasing
version 3.0 of UMN gopher/gopherd sometime within the next 48 hours.
I have spent the past couple of days working on getting stuff ready.
Our gopherd tree now works with zero patching on three flavors of
Linux, NetBSD, and likely Hurd.  I suspect that it will also compile
and run out-of-the-box on all modern free Unix flavors.

I expect the announcement to be carried widely.  It will link to
quux.org and floodgap.com directly, and our gopher software's homepage
has been set to gopher://gopherproject.org/1/Software/Gopher which has
links to all large maintained gophers one or two hits away.  So --
traffic may be increasing.

Long live Gopher!