Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Heads up

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Heads up
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:37:59 -0800 (PST)

> I expect the announcement to be carried widely.  It will link to
> quux.org and floodgap.com directly, and our gopher software's homepage
> has been set to gopher://gopherproject.org/1/Software/Gopher which has
> links to all large maintained gophers one or two hits away.  So --
> traffic may be increasing.
> Long live Gopher!

Excellent! Great work! Will this be a standard package for OSes to download
and install, like .rpm, NetBSD .pkg, etc.?

A note on Veronica-2: I've successfully built a new test index using a totally
new, custom indexer (i.e., not WAIS). This searches the entire 7.2 million
selector new index within a fraction of the original search system's time,
and has no limit on total number of selectors returned, along with lossy
matches, phonetic matches, etc.

Plus, the indexing system will make adding new hosts to the search index
very easy and fast to do.

Look for megaupdates to VISHNU and V-2 within the month, hopefully, as I
alter the search moles to speak Textil-FS instead of WAIS.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- FORTUNE: You have a magnetic personality. Avoid iron-based alloys. ---------