Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: New client announcement (#2)

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: New client announcement (#2)
From: David Allen <s2mdalle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:36:44 -0500

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:27:42PM -0800, emanuel at heatdeath organisation
wrote:

> Aw jeez, first I have to install Slackware, get X running, compile and install
> Gnome, compile and install OpenSSL/OpenSSH (so I can get at my e-mail to find
> the link without having somebody snatch my password) to try Stefan Rieken's
> new
> client, and *now* you want me to install python to try yours as well?  Of
> course I'll have to install the JDK, Tomcat and Netscape too, so I can run my
> webgopher on this installation.  I'm gonna be up all night :-)  Maybe I
> shouldn've installed Debian after all...

No!  That's WHY you should install debian.  Because instead of
downloading compiling and installing megs upon megs of source, you can
just apt-get to your heart's delight.  That is, if you have a decent
connection.  There's nothing quite like being on a 56k modem, and
having the system tell you that it's going for 60 packages at 85MB.
:)

Tomcat?  What does that do specifically?  I've seen it's name
referenced in the same context as java servlets.  I've written a few
of those, but I've always used Jserv.  Seems to work for me.

I thought it was a bit strange that I wasn't the only one requiring
people to get weird packages in order to run their program.  For
Stefans, you'll need helix GNOME, and GNet, which is a package that
doesn't come with helix gnome by default.  (Or that's how I got it running
anyway).  Just apt-get install libgnet I think...I'd say that GNet and
Pmw are pretty odd packages to require, but you know how some
developers hate to reinvent the wheel. :)

> Actually it's a good excuse to finally get Linux going on this box.  And a
> python gopher client can't be anything but good.  Can't wait to try
> it.

Cool.  I figured too many people were just going to ignore it due to
installation requirements, but you're installing a whole OS to try
it.  Oh, by the way, consider the software payment for the
bandwidth of yours that I ate testing it.  :)

More software for gopher can ONLY be positive.  I would like to
collaborate with other software writers though, since 1 or 2 good
clients is better than 20 pre-beta clients.  :)

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/