Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: City utilization range

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: City utilization range
From: Sam Steingold <sds@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:14:43 -0400

> * Jonadab the Unsightly One <wbanqno-IrLFYxOktEFfGaWA9+OTKt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> [2005-07-16 15:32:30 -0400]:
>
>  * Large cities run out of tiles to work, and they shouldn't; once
>    cities reach certain sizes, their radius should expand.  I'm
>    thinking something along these lines:
>     Size | Radius
>     -----+-------
>      1-2 | 1.5 (i.e., the tile the city is on, and adjascent tiles)
>      3-4 | 2.5 (same as the current radius for all cities)
>      5-8 | 3.5 ("Metropolis")
>      16+ | 4.5 ("Megalopolis")
>    But obviously the exact levels should be ruleset-specified.

yes!!

>  * There are citizen types, besides worker, for boosting science,
>    happiness, and gold, but there should be ones for boosting food
>    ("Farmer" seems obvious) and possibly also production, directly, in
>    the same way that a scientist boosts science output directly, or a
>    taxman boosts gold directly.  This also reduces the depencency on
>    the limited number of tiles right around the city and is probably
>    quite a lot easier to implement than the expanding work radius.

yes!!

>  * I'd like to see an improvement, Outer Wall (requiring City Walls as
>    a prereq probably) that boosts defense for units on land tiles
>    within the city's work radius.  Yes, you can build fortress
>    anywhere, but that doesn't scale as well to multiple tiles
>    (especially with the expanding work radius), protects any nation's
>    units equally, and has different requirements (workers' time,
>    rather than city production).

1. howitzer obsoletes City Walls - should it obsolete Outer Wall too?

2. operating close to the base confers certain benefits regardless of
   the improvements (logistics, morale &c), so I am not sure this
   improvement is necessary.
   operating on your city work squares should confer a benefit.

3. it should not be possible to build a city on someone else's city's
   work square.

4. a declaration of war must be required for a military unit to enter a
   work square of someone else's city.

<http://ffii.org/> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.dhimmi.com/>
<http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/> <http://www.memri.org/>
Computers are like air conditioners: they don't work with open windows!