Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: City utilization range

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: City utilization range
From: nicholas.g.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:26:49 +1000

>>* Large cities run out of tiles to work, and they shouldn't; once
>>cities reach certain sizes, their radius should expand.  I'm
>>thinking something along these lines:
    >>Size | Radius
    >>-----+-------
     >>1-2 | 1.5 (i.e., the tile the city is on, and adjascent tiles)
     >>3-4 | 2.5 (same as the current radius for all cities)
     >>5-8 | 3.5 ("Metropolis")
     >>16+ | 4.5 ("Megalopolis")
   >>But obviously the exact levels should be ruleset-specified.
   >
   >What if Large cities could "borrow" tiles from small cities.
   >That is, any empty tile within a small citys' radius becomes
   >available to a large city for production. A city always has
   >first pick of its own tiles.
   >
   >Option 1)
   >In order to gain the "tile borrowing" ability, a large city
   >has to first build a building "mobile workforce". This would
   >limit the advantage to only large cities

   I just realised, there is an existing building, "palace". This
   could be a happy medium. Every civilisation has one and only
   one palace. If the palace could borrow unused tiles from
   smaller, satellite cities, then the palace city would grow
   and grow from the beginning.

   nick

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.