Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: summary of ranking problems/questions

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: summary of ranking problems/questions
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:08:38 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Problem: Best way to reach the top is to only fight weaker players.
>
> This is not the kind of behaviour we want to encourage. I do not know ELO,
> but is it not possible to penalise playing too many consequtive games
> against only weaker players?

In some martial arts systems I think they tend to have it that at least in
certain ranks - the top ranks I think - you have to beat someone of that
higher rank to get there, or prsumably at least someone who is at the same
rank you are in the case that there is no-one at the higher rank that you
are trying to achieve.

I guess if the top people are absent so you cannot actually fight them
maybe some kind of challenge+timeout could be applied so if you reach the
rank just below them and issue a challenge to them and they do not answer
the challenge within some reasonable period of time they default their
title or something like that...

Of course this is a little different from a purely points-based system
where anyone who makes mega points gets a high rank regardless of whether
they have ever actually played against/with someone else of high rank...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/