Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] new ranking demo update

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] new ranking demo update
From: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:10:17 +0200

Hi!

I've updated the demo for the new ranking i'm working on at
http://aktiv.co.hu/~hirisov/civserver/ .

What's new?

1, i finally found an existing ELO system description which is similar
to ours and can be used better as base than the previous (general)
descriptions, so i rewrote the ranking code almost completely :)
2, under description link i started a description of the ranking system.
3, now it counts three different rankings (ffa,team,duel) instead of 1
overall. And it uses the same algorithm for all types so results are
comparable. No more need to use separated nick for team games :)
4, smaller updates at the web fronted to handle the different rankings
properly (eg graph now shows all of them for a player)

What's missing?

1, ranking decay. I'd need the date of games for implement it. Is it
possible to get them somewhere (best would in in an sql dump if
possible)?.
2, better web frontend: once the ranking code itself will be complete (i
hope soon) i'll focus on providing an informative web interface eg for
comparing players, etc.

--

Note the current ranks for duels and team games are not that proper,
because

1, we have few sample from these types off games (compared to ffa)
2, the lack of decay affects them much. Eg War King in duel is first
because he had extreme numbers of duels againts newbies from which he
benefited 2-3 ponts but w/ a great chance (check his log bu clickong on
his name).
3, in ffa players with various skills plays together, so we have enough
sample calculate real data. The more the ranks of players differ in a
game the more info we can extract from that game usually.
4, in duel and team players with much different skills plays together
much rarely! Eg this is why iuz is 17th in duel, because as he only
plays duels with the bests he doesnt win more than 55-60 percent of his
duels. And it's true for most active high ranked players in duels and
teams.

There's a chance if we'll have separated rankings players will play more
duels/teams too, so the system will have more info and will show more
real ranking in these game types too.

bye, hirisov