Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 14:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:44:48PM +0000, Per I.
> Midi is of course the smallest, but the only problem
> with midi is it
> depends heavily on the quality of your sound card.
> If you have a cheap
> sound card, the music will probably sound horrible.

I use TiMidity++ for software sound synthesis to play
MIDI files and am very happy with the results.
Moreover, one of the options is to use it to generate
wav files, so the quality would not depend on the
sound card.  (And I did like the cheesy MIDI that came
with Civilization, too.)  Unless the composer feels
like doing things not possible in MIDI, I would
definitely recommend going that way, and any
conversion to WAV/MP3/etc be done by the freeciv team.
 (If necessary, I could even do it, but the upload of
the results would be glacial -- I'm still on dial-up.)
 I also definitely recommend only having MIDI files
for music (as opposed to sound effects) in the
standard distribution, with other formats being an
optional download, to conserve bandwidth on the
servers.

As far as genres go, I'm imagining solo harp for the
ancient time period, small instrumental consort for
renaissance, orchestral for industrial, rock-and-roll
for modern, and electronic for post-modern.