Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv
From: "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:03:08 -0500

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:44:48PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Thanks for offering to create music for Freeciv! Files in the midi format
> would be nice, since they do not take up much space when distributed, but
> Wav can also work. I don't know what style would be best, I remember some

I would suggest mp3 or ogg-vorbis over wav; the quality should be fine
for game music, and even if you encode at 512kbps it would still be much
smaller than wav.

Midi is of course the smallest, but the only problem with midi is it
depends heavily on the quality of your sound card. If you have a cheap
sound card, the music will probably sound horrible.

I think the best solution would be to provide music in both formats and
allow users to download whichever one they want. Or maybe put midi in
the main distribution if it's small enough, and provide mp3 or ogg as an
option.

My $0.02
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@xxxxxxxxx