Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv

To: cullam Bruce-Lockhart <cullambl@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:44:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, cullam Bruce-Lockhart wrote:
> Hello, I am a musician and composer, interested in writing some music
> for Freeciv. I have been told that this would be greatly appreciated,
> and I am wondering about what type of music I should be writing for it.
> I have the means to make high quality midi or wav files, using any
> instrument imaginable, so I just need a direction to go in. If anyone
> has any stylistic suggestions or vague notions for me to start with, it
> would be a big help!

Hi,

Thanks for offering to create music for Freeciv! Files in the midi format
would be nice, since they do not take up much space when distributed, but
Wav can also work. I don't know what style would be best, I remember some
classical music working fine for Civ 1 and a sort exotic dance like music
(best way I can describe it) worked fine for Civ 2 and 3.

The kinds of music we need is basically an introduction theme which is
playing while loading and setting up the game, and a theme song for each
of the five age periods - that is ancient, renaissance, industrial, modern
and postmodern.

  - Per