Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv
From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:05:08 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:41:11 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Per I. Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Jim C. Nasby <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Freeciv] Re: music for freeciv
>
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > I would suggest mp3 or ogg-vorbis over wav; the quality should be fine
> > for game music, and even if you encode at 512kbps it would still be much
> > smaller than wav.

If you are looking for a Lossless alternative to WAV then you should
probably look at FLAC which is now part of the Xiph project (the people
who gave us OGG).
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

> No. The music should not be given to us in a lossy format, if at all
> avoidable. We will want to have a pristine Wav as source from which we can
> create lossy compressed versions for distribution. This way we can change
> compression ratio and lossy compression format without the additional loss
> of quality of going from one lossy format to another.

I quite liked the cheesy midi sounds of the orignal Civilastion but it is
probably not a good idea unless you are a musician who likes working with
midi.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/