Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:19:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, jianfei chen wrote:
> Before the advent of cruise missiles, naval powers were not the vital
> integrent in taking over other nations. However, in freeciv, the entire
> extent of an attacking land force is usually consisted of a few lowly
> regular(not veteran) horsemen. These same relics are then used for many
> centuries - despite being completely obsolete and the availability of
> gunpowder armed dragons - until the appearance of the alphin troops.
>
> To solve these 'problems', I would thus rather suggest what is used in CIV
> III; that gunboats and siege weapons gain the bombard option instead of
> being able to attack. Perhaps a succesful bombardment should take out half of
> the remaining hitpoints of the target

I agree. It is one of the things on my "to do" list once generalised unit
effects are in cvs.

Unlike CIV3, though, I think bombardment should reduce hitpoints of all
units stacked on the attacked tile, not just the defender. Also,
bombardment should only be against ground units - against sea and air
units it is just silly.

  - Per