Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox

To: Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:51:33 +0200

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 06:16:29PM +0200, Carlos Lorenzo Matés wrote:

> Hello, I don't know what happened with the codes of my last email. This s=
> hould
> look like this.

> The problem of smallpox is not only settler cost, is the capability
> of mantain larger armies, thus the rules that define the army
> support for cities must change, a large city should be capable of
> mantain more units than a small city without going unhappy. the same
> applies to science, production and tax.

To be efficient you have to came up with a solution where you need a
city with at least a temple (5 or bigger) to support an ironclad. What
also may be possible is that uk_happy and uk_shield fields are
increased. Has anybody tried this?

> Perhaps te solution is to increase by a growing factor (in function
> of city population) these capabilities. ie:

> City size       Max Army     Prod Factor
>        1                   1                      1
>        2                   1                      1
>        3                   2                      1
>        4                   2                      1
>        5                   3                      1.1
>        6                   3                      1.1
>        7                   4                      1.2
>        8                   4                      1.2
>        9                   6                      1.3
>        10                 8                      1.4
>        11                 10                   1.5
>        12                 12                   1.6
>        13                 16                   1.8
>        14                 20                   2.0
>        15
> =2E..................................
>
> Prod Factor could apply to Food, Resources, Science and Taxes
> Both Max Army and Prod Factor should be affected by Government types and
> Wonders (changing his effects to a % factor).

The max army isn't useful IMHO. It can be done with happy, shield and
gold upkeep. The factor is a nice idea BUT with rapture everybody can
get high city sizes very easy. If it depends on number of buildings or
similar but this is a weird way to force people to build buildings.

> Advanced Units and Large units (Ships, Missiles, etc) Could count as
> several armies (ie Battle ship = 4 Army, Cruiser = 2 Army, Bomber =
> 2 Army, Nuclear = 8 Army, etc),

Try the uk_* fields.

> This should change the potential of larger citys, This table factors
> are not tested, but it could be implemented by a separated
> configuration file tha t allow testing with several values to find
> the optimum rates.
>
> The file should define the city size factors and the units Army count
>
> The wonders and Governments that affect army size shoud also be
> configurable in % for example Republic can penalize in al 30 %

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman