Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox
From: Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:34:35 +0200

Hello.

The problem of smallpox is not only settler cost, is the capability of ma=
ntain=20
larger armies, thus the rules that define the army support for cities mus=
t=20
change, a large city should be capable of mantain more units than a small=
=20
city without going unhappy. the same applies to science, production and t=
ax.=20
Perhaps te solution is to increase by a growing factor (in function of ci=
ty=20
population) these capabilities. ie:

City size       Max Army     Prod Factor
       1                   1                      1
       2                   1                      1
       3                   2                      1
       4                   2                      1
       5                   3                      1.1
       6                   3                      1.1
       7                   4                      1.2
       8                   4                      1.2
       9                   6                      1.3
       10                 8                      1.4
       11                 10                   1.5
       12                 12                   1.6
       13                 16                   1.8
       14                 20                   2.0
       15                =20
=2E..................................

Prod Factor could apply to Food, Resources, Science and Taxes
Both Max Army and Prod Factor should be affected by Government types and=20
Wonders (changing his effects to a % factor).

Advanced Units and Large units (Ships, Missiles, etc) Could count as seve=
ral=20
armies (ie Battle ship =3D 4 Army, Cruiser =3D 2 Army, Bomber =3D 2 Army,=
 Nuclear =3D=20
8 Army, etc),

This should change the potential of larger citys, This table factors are =
not=20
tested, but it could be implemented by a separated configuration file tha=
t=20
allow testing with several values to find the optimum rates.

The file should define the city size factors and the units Army count

The wonders and Governments that affect army size shoud also be configura=
ble=20
in % for example Republic can penalize in al 30 % and Democracy in a 60%.=
=20
Women Suffrage could give a 50% bonus, etc

El Vie 30 Ago 2002 18:41, Jussi Asp escribi=F3:
> Thomas Strub wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 04:55:12PM +0300, Jussi Asp wrote:
> >>IMO biggest problem with smallpox has been the freecitycenterworker a=
nd
> >>too expensive improments.
> >>If there is enough resources and space around I think building new
> >>cities should still be smart. Preventing expansion
> >>with limiting the amount of cities you can have ( like jings
> >>unhappiness-patch) or making every new city more
> >>costly surely works, but  I don't think its very elegant..
> >>
> >>..so here are the rules I propose: (which surely are very elegant =3D=
P )

> >[...]
> >
> >>I've played some games with these settings and also used 4 settlers a=
> >>start to get it going faster and
> >>IMHO it works quite well against smallpoxing and in favor of develope=
> >>cities and is still fun to play.
> >
> >Did you play a smallpoxtactic against a nonsmallpoxtactic? Which was
> >better in the long run? (Faster steam, faster some wonders)
> >
> >I think even with 60 shields a smallpoxtactic is better.
> >
> >For a new city you need 50 Food and 60 shields.
> >And you get in a normal city (with rep)
> >3 Food 1 shield 2 trade
> >2 Food 1 shield 2 trade
> >
> >With a little bit rapturing you could remove the drawback of the loss =
of 2
> >population. So you have to change the rapture delay ...
> >
> >With smallpox you get after < 30 rounds your investment back. Think
> >usually a little bit faster. Particularly with cheap improvement units=
=2E
> >Then you have usually 1 food more.
> >
> >I think an ICS strategy will be effective with you rulesets.
> >
> >Do you have tiles for the "Worker"? It has to be added in my
> >rulesetchange too :-)
> >
> >Thomas
>
> Actually I think the current rules aren't that bad so small changes are
> good IMO.And those changes to rules were already a lot to favor
> nonsmallpox-strategy, and sure the variables can be changed even moreif
> need be, though I think the balance with my propose i good. I've used
> the settler and engineer tiles for workers.
>
> -Jussi Asp

--=20
Greetings.

Carlos Lorenzo Mat=E9s