Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: suggestion: ships out of cities

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: suggestion: ships out of cities
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:17:58 -0400

At 11:08 PM 02/06/19 +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
[...]
>> No, I think ships should definitely be allowed to move into cities.
>
>Agreed.
>
>> Although I might favour a (hard-to-implement) restriction which didn't
>> allow ships to use cities as ways to cross from one ocean to another.
>
>Not that hard. Requires Ross' ocean patch and an additional int in the
>unit field denoting the ship's original ocean, that's all. But is it
>desirable? I always thought of such cities as the equivalent of the Suez
>Canal, and a very good feature.

I too like the feature. When you consider the instant road and railroad
features of cities, instant canals is not really that farfetched. One of
the first things done around cities is to dredge and channel any water
features to provide flood protection, recreation and transportation.

This only takes unskilled labour as well :-).

Then again, portage systems were common at many places that didn't go
for the full canal investment.

And with the level of map detail, there is no way to really tell whether
there are water channels nearly connecting the two, or that can make
a connection with a little damming effort at some end. Arguing against
this on the basis of a worst case scenario only is not that productive.

[...]
>Yours,
>Per
>
>"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
>Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius

Cheers,
RossW
=====