Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: suggestion: ships out of cities

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: suggestion: ships out of cities
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:08:47 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Jules Bean wrote:
> No, the ship is in the port, which is at sea level.  But the city is
> surrounded on all sides by steep mountains, which makes mounting an
> attack almost impossible, and the cruiser can pick off enemy forces at
> long range whilst they're still climbing down the mountains to mount
> an attack.

Good explanantion :)

> No, I think ships should definitely be allowed to move into cities.

Agreed.

> Although I might favour a (hard-to-implement) restriction which didn't
> allow ships to use cities as ways to cross from one ocean to another.

Not that hard. Requires Ross' ocean patch and an additional int in the
unit field denoting the ship's original ocean, that's all. But is it
desirable? I always thought of such cities as the equivalent of the Suez
Canal, and a very good feature.

> Alternatives:
>
> * Take away terrain bonuses for ships' defence.
> * Take away city walls bonus for ships
> * Reduce ships firepower/attack when retaliating a land attack; they
> can defend themselves, but not hit back very hard.

Quoth NEWS, on changes since 1.12.0:
"Units attacking ships in cities double their firepower, while
defenders get only 1 firepower."

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius