Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: capitalization

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: capitalization
From: cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:44:50 +0100

At 17.10.2000 11:42 +0100, you wrote:
cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 14.10.2000 13:02 +0100, you wrote:
>> Markus <markus.buechele@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > "Store production" or "Gather Production" is IMO the most adequate
>> > term for the beginning of the evolution cycle.
>>
>> That's nice, but I have little idea of what it means(and I'm English).
>>
>> > "Capitalization" should stay with the corporation (and substitute
>> > "Saving"), but from that stage on the money a player has left over
>> > at the end of his/her term should yield interest of 5 or 3% per
>> > turn.
>>
>> On the other side of the coin, then, countries would be allowed to
>> borrow...  and then pay interest...

> I think what he means is what we refer to as the "hunter-gatherer" community,
> the initial state of evolution.

> In theory we should be allowed to borrow money, but you have to borrow
> from somewhere, and you don't really want to borrow from your enemies?
> So unless we change freeciv to be about world-domination to become a
> more roleplaying, everlasting game of world-cohabitation, borrowing IMHO
> isn't really a feature that would make sense.

I don't agree.  All you need is something like the World Bank.

At the moment we can borrow money - in the diplomatic dialogue - but I
meant a more global system where individual countries aren't
involved.  Normally /banks/ lend money, not countries.  Most countries
are in debt to banks, IIUC.
But then in turns, who feeds money into the World Bank (this is a politically
sore issue, so better be diplomatic), it's the member countries, so in turn you
are borrowing from your enemies (or allies).
But the concept of money would be interresting, but would be a pain in the ass
to agree on though. This also opens for a wonder which cancels all your debts =). And the first one to get the IMF-wonder can skimp lots of interest of the poorer
countries - *LOL*.

--
cyb97 / noXtension