Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: capitalization

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: capitalization
From: Larry McCutchan <lmccutchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:50:39 -0400

Doesn't most countries borrow from their citizens in forms of Treasury bills or savings bond? Borrowing off your enemies is a very interesting concept, but what enemy would really want to give money so that you can build that nice shiny tank or fighter jet? "Friendly" nations
would gladly loan some money for high interest.

Just a thought,
Larry

PS: I just joined the mailing list a couple of weeks ago. I've played Civ and Civ II for years now, but just started freeciv. I would like to thank all those who have worked on a really great game. I hope that I can help in the future.

On 2000-10-15 04:31:05, cyb97 wrote:
> At 14.10.2000 13:02 +0100, you wrote:
> >Markus <markus.buechele@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >On the other side of the coin, then, countries would be allowed to
> >borrow...  and then pay interest...
>
> In theory we should be allowed to borrow money, but you have to borrow
> from somewhere, and you don't really want to borrow from your enemies?
> So unless we change freeciv to be about world-domination to become a
> more roleplaying, everlasting game of world-cohabitation, borrowing IMHO
> isn't really a feature that would make sense.

Freeciv won't change over night but I don't think I'm alone in wanting
to see some more roleplaying/simulation...
So I see nothing wrong in enabeling loans in diplomacy (like in Alpha
Centayri?) even though most won't use it as it is now...
One step at the time...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)