Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Bug or feature?

To: ronis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Bug or feature?
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:37:57 -0400

--On Monday, 3 July 2000 11:58 AM -0400 David Ronis <ronis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just upgraded to the latest 1.11.0 release.   It compiled and
installed without any problems.  However when I play I've noticed that
transports (or earlier ships) have the following annoying features:

1.  They automatically load units from ports they happen to be in.

2.   If on the way to some destination, they go through a coastal city,
they will unload the units they're carrying.  This inevitably costs a
turn (at least) while you go back for them.

I can think of situations where these two features would be desirable,
but for the most part I don't think they are.  Can they be turned off?

Apparently whenever a ferry-ship of some sort is in a city, sentried units (as many as possible) are put on the boat and non-sentried units are put in the city. I'm not sure if there's any way to turn this off, but for a workaround what I do is to fortify units I want to stay in the city and sentry units I want on a boat.

To complicate things, I think units on a ship are autosentried after a turn onboard, but if the ship goes through a city in the same turn as a unit is moved onto it (as opposed to picking it up already-sentried from a city) it'll probably be unloaded.

Hope this helps somehow.

--Jed, who's still trying to get the hang of using ferry-ships.