Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: settler cost (was: "city grows to <same size>")

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: settler cost (was: "city grows to <same size>")
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:22:33 +0200

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Reinier Post wrote:
> >     Alan> When a city granary fills up, a new citizen should appear in the
> >     Alan> city.  At times, however, when my city already has size 3, say, I
> >     Alan> get a message like "Praha grows to size 3" when I would have
> >     Alan> expected "Praha grows to size 4"
> >
> >   Did you previously build a settler in that city?
>
> This is my guess also.  Cities can grow very soon after building a settler,
> but this does not happen very often.

No, it does happen often. Because when you build a settler the city size
decrase and so does the amount of food requred for it to grow again. So
there is a nice chance for the amount of food to be >= the amount needed

> >   Settlers take growth from cities.
>
> To be precise, they take 1 off its population ...
>
> > I wish that settlers were either
> > cheaper to build
>
> Well, this wouldn't help: since 1.9.0, city growth has been the bottleneck
> on producing settlers.  If it isn't for you, improve your Freeciv strategy :)
>
> > (given that they take growth as well!) or that we had
> > road/irrigation capable units that didn't take growth.
>
> You can edit the rulesets, I look forward to your findings!

There are allready seperate flags for cityfounding (F_CITIES) and formers
(F_SETTLERS). The AI will need a bit of work to use them properly I
think, but I haven't actually looked.

> --
> Reinier

-Thue