Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: tribal/national gods

Subject: [Freeciv] Re: tribal/national gods
From: "Masheikh" <Masheikh@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 18:10:49 +0100

On 02.03.00 at 14:51 Paul Dean wrote:

>here's an idea: parallel to the type of government, there could be a
>type of religion.  You research each new religion, A, B, C,... and
>each one gives different benefits to the population.  Eg religion X is
>a war-like religion which gives good control and passion to your
>troops, so all units attacking and defending strengths are multiplied
>by 1.5.  Religion Y says that making money is a blessing from your
>god, so every city gets a free marketplace.  Religion Z reveres
>knowledge, so every city gets a free library.
>
>Of course, it would take a long time to change the religion of a
>nation(proportional to the size of population, say), so you can't
>change just on a whim, or for a quick war.  (maybe, even, to change
>religion you have to sell all your temples and build new ones...)
>
>Just an idea.
>Paul.

great idea in my opinion but religion is such a "critical" issue. should x y
and z be real religions or new ones. i think to rate real religion is TO
critical. and as far as this whole system is called "religion" in the game,
people could try to find simularities to real religions if we create new ones.
remember until today there are only chistian worldwonders included in freeciv -
i guess ;-)

on the one hand it is very hard to manage such a system but on the other hand
as far as freeciv uses to be a picture of the real world religion is needed
indeed. maybe it can be included in the system of "cultural influence" that was
discussed allready.

vut anyway here are some ideas how to include religion:
if you know 3 religions u can build tempel of 3 types regarding to each
religion but only one tempel in each city. if you and one other nation build
one and the same tempel on the border to each other there could be an benefit
in any way from (don't know how at this time). but building one tempel in one
half of the country and another in the other half to benefit from both
neighbours could rise the risk of civil war or the seperation of cities to join
this neighbour.

now an other issue. i've noticed that some management tools from the comercial
civs are missing in freeciv
1. when u are in the citywindow u cannot switch to the next city without
leaving. civ 2 & 3 use the up and down keys for this. it is really hard to
change the production in every city
2. in the citymanagementwindow (F1-key) u cannot mark more than one city. in
civ 3 u can use ctrl to mark cities one by one or shift to mark a fiel of
cities (u mark city a and city b while holding shift and all cities in between
are marked as well) and now u can change the production easiely (marking all
cities and let them build military-units is called "declaring war" by me :-)
and doing this is quit hard in freeciv 1.10 as well)
3. in the citymanagementwindow in ctp u can sort the cities by the colums; food
- production - gold are singeled colums and by clicking on "production" all
cities are sorted by their production - this is good if u look for the one with
highest production to build a worldwonder

4. pleassssse include fundametalism - my favourite government ;-) i like 2 b
arkbishop / ayhatola

 > great game anyway <

c ya
Masheikh king of the germans (sorry for my bad english)