Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: tribal/national gods

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: tribal/national gods
From: Paul Dean <Paul.Dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 2000 21:00:38 +0000

Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 06:10:49PM +0100, Masheikh wrote:
> > On 02.03.00 at 14:51 Paul Dean wrote:
> > >here's an idea: parallel to the type of government, there could be a
> > >type of religion.  You research each new religion, A, B, C,... and
> > >each one gives different benefits to the population.  Eg religion X is
> > >a war-like religion which gives good control and passion to your
> > >troops, so all units attacking and defending strengths are multiplied
> > >by 1.5.  Religion Y says that making money is a blessing from your
> > >god, so every city gets a free marketplace.  Religion Z reveres
> > >knowledge, so every city gets a free library.
>
>       This can be viewed as a return to the bad old days of Civ1 where
> the AI could build Wonders of the World simply by declaring it had them.
>       Religion in the Civilization series has been muted, all the way up
> to Call To Power.
>
>       I don't think that "starting the game with a free Wonder" is going
> to help game balance.
>       Another historical Civilization principle is "Everyone starts out
> equal" or nearly so.  Small variations in Tech and Units were allowed as
> compensation for a bad starting spot (however that was defined).  But
> tribal global bonuses really aren't modelled or suggested.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.  There are no free
wonders suggested.  Here's the ticket: there exist 3 types of temple,
once you've researched them.  If you build the same sort of temple in,
say, all of your cities(or it could be in a certain proportion of
them) then you get this bonus.  To change type of bonus(from economic
to war, say) you have to build lots of new temples.  This is hardly a
free wonder or starting out unequal, but it just gives more scope to
win the game in more than one way like the present case.

regards,
Paul Dean.