Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] root

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, tabasco@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] root
From: "Karl-Ingo Friese" <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 13:50:19 +0000

On Mar 4,  1:56am, Blaine W. Perdue wrote:
> Subject: [Freeciv] problem running freeciv as root
> This may be a newbie question, but when I try to run freeciv logged in
> as root, I get this:
>
> Fatal error: you're trying to run me as superuser!
> Use a non-privileged account instead.
>
> Why is this? When I do "su - (username)" to get my normal login
> privileges, it still won't work...
>
> Any ideas?
>

>-- End of excerpt from Blaine W. Perdue

The solution is quite easy. Just read the message once again.
It's civserver itself that gives out the warning simple, for
it is a very, very, very stupid idea to run something like a
civserver as root. Root patches the system - but does not play
games. Especialy not network games - freeciv is no high security
application, especialy not the server. Thats why freeciv server
itself doesnt want to be run as root, just in case someone finds
out how to spy your files or format your HD with it - or installs
a trojan that keeps sending insulting emails to your boss.

Linux is a multi-user system people. Dont use root account to
write your emails.

Ingo