Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: problem running freeciv as root

To: tabasco@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: problem running freeciv as root
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:55:42 +0100

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 01:56:57AM -0600, Blaine W. Perdue wrote:
> This may be a newbie question, but when I try to run freeciv logged in
> as root, I get this:
>
> Fatal error: you're trying to run me as superuser!
> Use a non-privileged account instead.

We are trying to protect you from allowing other to mess with your system.

> Why is this? When I do "su - (username)" to get my normal login
> privileges, it still won't work...

If you're still getting the same error message, something strange is
happening.  If you're getting an error 'cannot connect to display :0'
or similar, don't use the root account to run a graphical login session.

root is for system administration tasks, everything else should be done
as a normal user without special privileges.  In particular things that
create network connections, such as Freeciv.

--
Reinier