Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: FreecivNG (Re: Freeciv goals)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: FreecivNG (Re: Freeciv goals)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 06:21:32 -0300

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 09:34:34AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:51:02PM -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> This point has been made before: Civ II provides a common focus.
> Every deviation from Civ II needs to be agreed on, designed,
> playtested, all in the hope of finding a sufficient number

Yes, I realize that. But the number of players grows every day,
who knows?

> I'd love to be on the board of that committee (for the same reason as
> you), but without actual coders and actual playtesters you're going to
> get nowhere.

I think there are acutal coders interested. But we now want to
focus them on civ2 compatibility...

> > - new units, wherever this makes sense (mostly ultratech, it
> > seems, but not necessarily)
>
> Let's try the possibilities of the existing rulesets first.

This would likely happen using rulesets anyway.

> > - make it possible for a city to physically grow for very very
> > large populations
>
> One idea would be to grow the city area with city size.
> This has been discussed on the list before.

Yes, like all other item I listed.

> > - ocean:
> >
> >   - chunnels and landfill (transforming between ocean and land)
> >   - bridges and tunnels (kind of building railroad on ocean)
> >   - submarine cities
>
> What I'd like to see is ocean-to-swamp transformation, a simple
> addition that could have a major impact on the game.

This was my original proposal (along with swamp-to-ocean),
which originated the whole discussion.

> > - winning/losing the game:
> >
> >   - cultural domination (makes cities spontaneously change sides)
>
> Required for Civ I compatibility.

Of course, actual "cultural domination" means more than just
that; it's a _reason_ for cities to change sides...

> >   - economical domination (to do with valutas, inflation,
> >   exchange rates and all these beasts)
>
> How does this improve the game?

By creating new ways to win.

Oh, and I forgot one "Freeciv mode" item:

- "geek" wonders (Internet, Freeciv, etc)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.