Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: ghod <ghod@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:08:48 -0500

Steven Burnap wrote:

> At 02:11 PM 2/29/00 -0600, Sean Connor wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 12:07:49PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
> > >   True. And why can't I "irrigate" the *sea* --- fish are sure easier to
> > > catch if I put a big fench around them.
> >
> >Well, for one thing, you'd have to move your settler/engineer onto
> >a sea square in order to do this, and in case you hadn't noticed,
> >they can't move onto sea squares.  :)
> >
> >We'd have to make some kind of sea-going settler/engineer type unit
> >in order for this to work.  (A boat with building capabilities,
> >perhaps?)
>
> "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" does exactly this.  You can build "Kelp Farms",
> "Mining Platforms" and "Tidal Harnesses".  (For "Nutrients" (food), "Minerals"
> (shields) and "Energy" (trade), respectively.)
>
> Steven Burnap

I like those ideas, and would hope that after civ2 is achieved that the SMAC
stuff would be added as a rule set.

one thing that has always been missing and still is even in SMAC, is the ability
to create bridges over 1-2 water squares. I hate having to load a transport
or leave it docked to cover a single water square so I can rush 30 guys across
the next island to do some serious damage,
we don't need a ferry to get to Long Island, and with the EURO tunnel from
england
to france.. you could WALK to france..

Just thinking out loud

Ghod