Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1999:
[Freeciv] Re: Wonders

To: "'freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Wonders
From: Cobey Schmidt <Cobey_Schmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:22:55 -0600

                                >I am confused with this thought.  Communism
as a political system
                                >causes unhappiness, not happiness.
Communism fails where ever it >is tried.  That is why it fails in the game.
People die trying to leave
                                >communist states, not get into them.

                In history, you are correct in that what you know as
"communism" hasn't worked.  However, these failed attempts are not true
communism.  Rather, they are someone's version of communism that was
modified to suit that person's desires.  In reality, Stalinism, Leninism,
etc are what have failed.  Don't get me wrong, I am not into communism, but
this is what is taught in Political Science classes.  (At least in the ones
I took.)

                In the game, I think a communist state should have success
until it encounters capitalism.  Then it would develop problems.  This I
think would hold true to reality.  The reason true communism & adapted
versions don't survive is pretty much for one reason - human greed